Top 5 Office Makeup Don'ts
Some things are tricky to navigate at the office: politics, interpersonal relationships, drama. Makeup shouldn't be one of those things. Save yourself from embarrassing makeup faux pas by checking out our list of office makeup don'ts.
Office Makeup Don'ts
- Don't cake it on. It's easy to overdo the foundation especially if you're having a less-than-perfect skin day. Avoid that temptation by opting for a BB cream or lightweight foundation, and then use concealer to cover dark circles or blemishes. By keeping your base light, you'll look natural, and you won't have to constantly retouch throughout the day.
- Don't wear false lashes. Save the falsies for your off-time. Not only does this shave off minutes from your morning routine, but it'll prevent you from looking overdone at the office. Instead of falsies, reach for a volumizing mascara. Curl your lashes, and then apply one (or two) coats for dark, lush lashes that'll look natural for the office.
- Don't wear glitter. Glitter should be worn sparingly and only under certain circumstances. Your office is rarely, if ever, one of those acceptable circumstances. The trouble with glitter is that it announces itself loudly. Shine through your work--not your glittery eyeshadow. If you must get your shine on, then opt for shimmer instead, and apply lightly. You should be glowing--not glittering.
- Don't overdo the contouring or highlighting. Office lights tend to be harsher and less forgiving on bronzer and highlighter. If you must contour, then do it with a light hand, and check it under artificial and natural light. Nothing ruins a day at the office quite like contour gone wrong. If you've arrived at the office only to find your contouring's gone wrong, then clean it up with a damp paper towel. Pat lightly to remove excess bronzer, and then, apply face powder lightly to retouch your base.
- Don't wear the smokey eyes. While smokey eyes simply ooze sex appeal, it's best saved for late nights--not office hours. At the office, it just looks inappropriate. Instead, opt for a lighter variation of the smokey eye. Try softer shades of brown and taupe. Neutral colors will add definition to your eyes without looking overdone.
A career woman never lets her work be overshadowed by her makeup. Instead, she has a signature beauty look that compliments who she is inside and outside of her workplace. A good rule of thumb is to keep your makeup clean and simple at the office. As a result, you'll always look polished, professional, and ready to take on the world.