5 Steps to Creating a Career Vision Board
Creating a career vision board is a fantastic way to keep yourself motivated. Vision boards are aesthetically pleasing to look at, and they're also purposeful and inspirational. Vision boards are the embodiment of creative visualization. A career vision board will help you form a concrete image of what your professional ambitions are, and a vision board will help keep you on track to help you achieve your goals.
Here are 5 steps to creating a career vision board:
- Define your ideal career. Think beyond just your career track. Consider why you want that particular career, what you wish to gain from it, and ultimately, how attaining that career will benefit you personally and professionally. The only way to do great work is to do what you love. Firstly, figure out what you love to do, and then figure out why you love it. Everything else is detail.
- Consider the details of your ideal career. Next up, work on the details. Which career track do you need to take? What goals do you have for your career? What do you hope to gain from your career, and what do you ultimately want to achieve? Maybe it's creative freedom, or financial security, or maybe it's the ability to travel the world with your career. Be honest, be selfish, and be unashamed.
- Add inspirational images. Now, find images that present your career and your goals. Maybe it's a picture of your dream office, your dream home, or your dream lifestyle. Or, it could be pictures of power-suits, tools of the trade, or your idols. Every image you choose should remind you of your career goals, and most importantly, every image should make you happy.
- Add texts. Complete your images with texts. These texts could specify your goals: "Creative Director," "Gourmet Chef," or "CEO." Don't limit yourself strictly to descriptions of your career. Add inspirational quotes as well. The texts should compliment the images, and altogether, they should form a unified theme that represents your ideal career.
- Reference your vision board for inspiration, and keep updating it as new inspiration hits. Your vision board should serve as your ultimate source of inspiration for your career. If your career goals start to change, then you should update your board accordingly. Be open and receptive to new inspiration, and always memorialize new bits of inspiration on your vision board.
Vision boards are personal, and you should choose a medium that suits you best. If you prefer the old-school route, then create a physical collage or mood board as your vision board. Or you could go the digital route, and create Pinterest boards instead. If you're a graphic designer, then why not illustrate your own vision board, and use it as a desktop wallpaper? There's no right or wrong way to create a vision board--as long as you do with honesty, love, and above all, bravery.
What does your career vision board look like? Share with us @Les_Naly!